Please know, although our primary focus is on bringing poverty relief to children born and STUCK in poverty, we are not blind to 18 additional reasons why youth need their own advocate and why they need our help now more than ever.
Each reason listed below provides a wider aperture into another problem or challenge the youth we advocate for, face every day not only in Charlotte but all across America as well.
- 5 children are killed by abuse or neglect.
- 8 children or teens die by suicide.
- 9 children or teens are killed with a gun.
- 22 children or teens die from accidents.
- 50 children or teens are injured with a gun.
- 59 children or teens are injured or killed with a gun.
- 61 babies die before their first birthday.
- 126 children are arrested for violent crimes.
- 248 children are arrested for drug crimes.
- 589 public school students are corporally punished.*
- 773 babies are born into extreme poverty.
- 826 babies are born without health insurance.
- 860 babies are born with low birthweight.
- 1,683 babies are born into poverty.
- 1,844 children are confirmed as abused or neglected.
- 1,995 children are arrested.
- 2,956 high school students drop out.*
- 14,640 public school students are suspended.*
*Based on 180 school days per year. Reproduced from Children’s Defense Fund. (2020). The state of America’s children. Available at https://www.childrensdefense.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/The-State-Of-Americas-Children-2020.pdf.